Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Day in Melbourne

Today, I spent the day as a tourist. I woke up an had Starbucks for breakfast. I people watched everyone as they went to work. Melbourne is a business town that has a seemingly strict dress code.

I walked to the Eureka sky tower and went to the top. It is 88 stories to the sky deck. The claim to fame is that it is the largest free standing building in the southern hemisphere and the largest residential building in the southern hemisphere. The elevator moves at a rate of 9m/second.

I finished that to walk to the Melbourne Aquarium. It is the best aquarium in the world supposedly. I saw penguins, manta rays, sharks, jelly fish, and tons of strange Australian fish. I bought the package where I got to learn all about the penguins then go into the exhibit. You learn all about the King Penguins and the Gentoo Penguins. I would recommend doing it. Penguins are just plain adorable. I spent over three hours in this place just in awe. I told Aunt Sue and Jeff about this and we are going to do it again tomorrow. In the shark exhibit, they had sharks, manta rays, and sting rays. The manta rays were four feet round. The sharks actually swam over you. The jelly fish were annoying and well lit.

I had lunch out on the patio of a restaurant called Grilled. The chicken burger with cranberry sauce was pretty good. The chips were amazing. I then walked through St. Paul's Cathedral. It is stunning but the organ is placed in a funny location.

I got bored of being alone so I went and grabbed my computer and homework. I ended up in Fitsroy Gardens. I walked through James Cook Cottage - the oldest building in Australia. I sat myself down in front of the Dolphin Fountain and did homework. I might have gotten a bit of sun but the location was stunning.

I met everyone at 515 to go to the opening day of the Melbourne AFL season. The eight of us had dinner at the Melbourne Cricket Club (also the AFL stadium) before the game. The game was exciting and loud with 100,000 people in the audience. It got rowdy and everyone enjoyed it.

I have come back from this to plan the weekend trip to the Great Ocean Road. I hope that it works out as I planned. 

AFN

PS. Jocelyn how much did you pack for me. It didn't fit in my suitcase. Thank you for all of it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment