Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Kangaroo and Eggs

A friend who I met here, who is doing a combined law and finance honors degree, invited me for a home cooked dinner. He happened to go on exchange to University of Calgary a year and a bit ago. I guess people were awesome to him in Calgary and decided to extend the friendliness here. Karma really but I am still going to exploit that fact. 

As a friendly welcome to Australia, the meal consisted of very Australian foods:
- Starter: salad that looked like weeds with a vinaigrette dressing (coriander is a popular "lettuce" here)
- Main: kangaroo steak, "pot tots" done in barbeque sauce (or at home - baby potatoes), grilled assorted veggies, and a taste of white wine goon
- Desert: mango cheese cake with vanilla frozen yoghurt

Kangaroo steak was interesting to eat. It turns out grey when you barbeque it. It is a gamey meat but is actually quite tasty for what it is. I had it done medium rare which translated into a medium well cow steak. I would eat kangaroo again as it is a tasty meat with spices and such on it but I will not be bringing it home to eat.

Goon is an Australian cheap wine. I don't understand how people drink it. They did serve other proper white wine after I had finished drinking my glass of goon. Yes, it is actually called goon. You can buy 5L of goon for $9.

One thing I have learned being on exchange is that all exchange kids live for being brought home for non-residence food. I have not been eating a balanced diet at all. Vegetables were such a treat.
Side note: I've learned that eggs aren't kept in fridges in Western Australia. Fridges don't even have egg racks or spots for them. This horrifies me as those are things that should most definitely be refrigerated at all points. Grocery stores don't even refrigerate eggs at all - they sit on shelves. Milk, juice, pop, and water is not commonly stored in fridges either - everything is served warm and nasty.


AFN

No comments:

Post a Comment