Sunday, March 18, 2012

Wind Surfing and the Western Australia Museum

Yesterday morning I went wind surfing on the Swan River with a uni recreate program for three hours. It started at 7 am which is a crazy time for a Saturday morning. I must say that it is the hardest thing I have done in Australia. Surfing is significantly easier than wind surfing. Wind surfing takes tons of core and upper body coordination/strength. The wind was okay which was making it harder to actually go wind surfing. Incredible experience though. I didn't take my camera to get any pictures as I knew I was going to be in the water a ton which I regret now. I got good enough that if I could do a few more lessons I would be able to just go on my own.

The arvo was spent in Perth City at the Perth International Student Festival. It turned out to be a flop - there was weird international live music and only food there. The world made it seem like a much larger festival. However, in the area was the Western Australia Museum. To escape the heat and do something, we went in and explored. It was actually really neat. They had an underwater section with live corals and fish surrounded by old underwater animals/crustaceans fossils. You then walked into the mammal area which had all Australian animals stuffed or on display in skeletal formation. Australia has some of the creepiest mice, rats, and kangaroo/rat combinations. The neatest skeleton was the dolphin - they actually look like they have arms but you know they don't in reality. Butterflies and birds was the next exhibit which we passed through mindlessly. It didn't have the wow factor of the last two exhibits. You follow a giant curved staircase into the dinosaur exhibit which had dinosaur bones and full dinosaurs on loan from the Royal Tyrell Museum on display. I laughed a little that I had seen all of these bones before back at home. You then go into an interactive mineral and earth themed area. I might have played with all of the minerals that are non-reactive. It was like being a six year old again to be able to play with something. The actual display that we were supposed to see was the World War Two exhibit, we didn't end up seeing. The museum was interactive and long so we skipped out on the war exhibit. The bus ride home was quiet and uneventful.

Because last night was St. Patrick's Day, the girls and I played a few rounds of beer pong in res instead of going out. It was an event that is indescribable to the rest of the world. I ended up going to bed at 10 which was a godsend.

PS. That is a skeleton of an Indian elephant which only sits about 5 feet tall. Then the group photo goes: Shannon (Eastern Canadian), Caitlin (Scottish), Me (Western Canadian), Jenna (New Hampshire), and Cristy (Chicago, Illinois).

AFN

No comments:

Post a Comment