Saturday, April 14, 2012

Queenstown to Franz Josef, New Zealand - April 11, 2012

Today the aim was to get to Franz Josef to see the Cook and Fox Glaciers. They are one of three glaciers that you can actually just walk onto. A four hour bus ride there was spent sleeping - all I missed was sheep, cows, the odd mountain, and sheep. The town itself is quaint and basically one main street. A spinach salad took an hour to make because, well, salads are hard to make - lettuce, dressing, and pecans.

I did a heli-hike on the Fox Glacier. It is stunning to see blue and green ice. The helicopter ride was pretty insignificant because of the terrain that we saw. I miss hiking and the cold actually. I got to climb through an actual crack to an under ice river. The glacier moves at a pace of 4 m per day. Glacier water from the river was one of the freshest things that I think exists. 

Just before dinner, a couple of girls and myself headed out to the hot pools. They were advertised as "natural" but in reality were just giant hot tubs of various temperatures.

I am just ready to go home to my own bed and not share a room with anyone. 

AFN

No comments:

Post a Comment