Saturday, April 14, 2012

Queenstown, New Zealand - April 10, 2012

Today was epic. I woke up to go white water rafting down the Shotover River. To get to the river you have to go down a road named "Goldfinger Road". No lie - it is the scariest road I think in the world. It is barely big enough for the van to be on it. One side is sheer cliff to death and the other is the top of the road with a sheer cliff. It was not for the feign of heart. The forty minute drive was well worth it though. White water rafting was a lot of fun. I guess we did the top ten most dangerous rapids in the southern hemisphere. It didn't feel that big of rapids though. The river was a balmy 2 Celsius and the outside temperature only 1 Celsius. Getting wet was a death sentence.

I literally jumped straight onto another coach to get to my third bungee jump - the Ledge at a 45m drop. Ledge was incredibly terrifying - you can do anything you want to jump off of this one. I decided to back flip off of this one. The view is spectacular as you can see the entire view of Queenstown and surrounding area. You can do a second jump for $30 and since the staff didn't feel like unbelting me then rebelting me, I did the jump twice in a row within five minutes of each other. This really didn't put fear into me. It was a significant amount of time to free fall before the bounce.

The afternoon was spent at the Canyon Swing. It is basically a bungee jump that ends up swinging at the end. Whoever came up with the idea was brilliant. It was the most terrifying thing I did. I jumped backwards the first time then I jumped with my hands behind my back. No hands to grab the rope is more terrifying than not being able to see where you are going. The swing is 209 m long with about a minute free fall time.

AFN

No comments:

Post a Comment