Sunday, April 08, 2012

Perth, Australia to Christchurch, New Zealand – April 6, 2012


Kia Ora (hello),

I met Mrs. and Mr. Charlton in downtown Perth on Thursday for lunch and to get my backpack. They are wonderful people. It was nice to see a friendly face from home and hear stories about my group of friends. We ended up at Cottlesoe Beach for a drink or two and then we parted ways that arvo, me going to New Zealand and them going to Bali.

Air New Zealand has one of the funniest safety demonstration videos. I would recommend goggling it or you-tubing it.

My flight was delayed two hours in Perth to Auckland, which was a hassle. Your not allowed leaving the secured area once you have cleared security. Not shockingly, there is no food on the security clearance side. I was starving once I got onto my plane as I hadn’t eaten since lunch. Since I did not purchase a ticket with meals, I was not fed on the plane either.

The flight to Auckland is seven hours and ten minutes. The kid next to me puked for six straight hours on a full flight. I was not allowed to change seats anywhere. It blew. I didn’t end up sleeping on my overnight flight. The four-hour time difference did not help either. I was not a happy camper by this point in the travel – no sleep and feeling disgusting.

Since the plane was late leaving Perth, my connecting flight had left by the time the plane landed. I must say, going through customs in Auckland was an adventure. I was pulled out by Biohazard New Zealand. I had dirt on my hiking boots and was made to sanitize them right there in the airport. I paid an $110NZ fine for having dirt on hiking boots. The also make me unpack everything and repack it all in front of them.

You actually have to pick your baggage up in Auckland and personally take it to the domestic airport that is a fifteen-minute walk outdoors. I ran to make the next flight out to Christchurch. I did not end up checking my bag on the second flight. My backpack fit above the seat with my little day bag fitting under the seat.

The flight from Auckland to Christchurch is one of the most spectacular I have seen. It goes from beach tropics, to farmland, to mountains comparable to the Rockies, then to farmland again. It is only an hour and spare change - easy flight actually. Landing in Christchurch was interesting. The airport is an international airport but it doesn’t fly to Perth, only eastern states, which should be a three and a half hour flight from there.

I met other Contiki mates when I was checking into the backpacker motel. The three of us ended up walking around Christchurch. It is dead here. The earthquake has destroyed the majority of downtown and the fact it was Good Friday did not help either. The only things open in the city were a coffee bar, a strip club, and the backpackers’ pub.

The tour starts tonight, which should be interesting. This time I am staying in quad occupancy rooms.

AFN

No comments:

Post a Comment