Saturday, June 09, 2012

Fremantle

This morning started at 515 am when I was woken up by construction. I don't understand why they start so bloomin' early on the weekend but they do. I studied for a couple of hours then Jenna, Caitlin, Christy, Malou, Leigh, and myself meandered down to Fremantle City. It is the artsy town just an hour bus ride south of Perth. It's quite the neat town - old buildings and a giant university. I generally go to Fremantle to get on the dive boat but have never set foot in the town.

Every second Saturday they have a giant market where they sell an assortment of items such as boomerangs, tea and spices, tacky tourist things, opals, local artisan items, and food. I had the most delectable Moroccan coffee whilst the girls bought the tacky tourist things for home. It honestly was heaven in a cup.

We played with boomerangs in the town square and learned how to properly throw one. It is an intricate balance of force and angle. You throw it like a little girl throws a baseball or a good beer pong shot at between a 15-45 degree angle. I still can't throw one that spins around me but I can get it to come back to me.

Lunch was at Ciserello's on the water. It is a hole in the wall fish and chips place. I ordered chicken fingers and fries which came wrapped in newspaper. The girls had fish and chips which looked delicious. I base not eating fish as karma - I don't eat them so they don't eat me.

I picked up more Fantales to ship home in the suitcases that are being shipped home. I figured a taste of Australia would reach me when I get home. It is probably the only way that they won't get eaten.

The best part of my day though was my nap. I am going to miss my afternoon siestas from 2 - 3pm daily. There is something refreshing about an arvo nap. 

The weather held up for the most part today - 18C and cloudy. I am tired of rain. Rain is truly depressing and makes my hair look horrifically poofy. People don't understand that torrential downpour for three solid days is worse than snow. With snow at least the sun shines at some point or you can see the moon at night.

As a perk of studying on a Saturday night, Currie Hall delivered late night pizza to our rooms. I am falling in love with BBQ chicken (pizza dough, BBQ sauce, chicken pieces, and cheese) from Broadway. I need to find somewhere in Calgary that does BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce.

Tonight will be a late night of power cramming for my Tuesday exam. I have drank five cups of Australian Afternoon Tea and a cup of coffee today.

AFN

No comments:

Post a Comment