Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Getting Lost



This morning started off amazing. I went and did surf lessons up in Scarborough Beach for three hours with a couple of kids from residence. I can now stand up on a small board. I still can't turn or go into any waves bigger than about three feet so far. I am going back for another lesson on Sunday. The waves here are mildly rougher than Hawaii. They range from baby 1 foot swells to 6 foot swells. I hung out about the beach for the afternoon cause I honestly have nothing else to do.

Currently reading the book, "Down Under" by Bill Bryson. A friend had lent it to me. It's a summarized version of Australian history with a twist of humour. He goes on this big Australian adventure and describes the history of each city he visits. It is a good beach read but it pretty damn old (1973).

I need suggestions for new books to read as I seem to have a ton of free time.

I can't go diving for another couple days as the shark alarms keep going off near Cottlesloe beach. They have gone off three times this week alone. When dad and I were here together, we could have dove everyday. Now that I am alone with little to do, I can't dive due to Australian shark policy. 

This afternoon, I went to the campus gym and signed up for Tennis and Rowing lessons for the semester. Since I am on the river, I went for an hour and a half long run along the Swan River. You literally run pass marina after marina of yachts. This is the sunset from today over some part of my run.

Tonight I adventured downtown alone to go see the Vow with Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams. I caught a ride downtown with a grad student who offered to drive me so that I could see the movie on time. He is studying advanced micro-dentistry and doing his thesis on mouth herpes. Strange thesis but a fairly normal kid for this res. The movie was really cute and a worthwhile two hours.

To get home from downtown, all I had to do was turn right and walk to the bus station that had a 102 bus in it maybe 5 minutes away. Did I do that though? Nope. I turned left and ended up on a 201 bus going the complete wrong way. I ended up an hour and ten minute drive away from Currie Hall before realizing something was wrong. I called a taxi to get me home. $140 later, I am safe and sound in my res room with a dead phone and a bruise to the ego. I will figure out the bus system here pretty quick.

AFN

No comments:

Post a Comment